How do I contact HMRC about tax credits? (2024)

How can I contact HMRC about tax credits?

You can contact using the HMRC App, Twitter, by telephone or in writing. They don’t have a facility to let you e-mail them directly but you can do many things online, using their digital service via the GOV.UK website or using the HMRC app.

Tax credit digital services

HMRC have developed an online service called the ‘Personal Tax Account’ for all individuals to be able to transact with them digitally. The Personal Tax Account covers a variety of services provided right across HMRC lines of business, covering income tax, tax payments, Self Assessment returns and it also includes the tax credits online service.

The specific tax credit online service is called ‘Manage your tax credits’ and can be accessed either directly from this link: Manage your tax credits, or via the Personal Tax Account and following links to the tax credit part of your Personal Tax Account.

To use this service, you need to register with the Government Gateway service or use your existing account if you already use Government Gateway for Self Assessment. Each time you use your Government Gateway account, you need to have a mobile phone or landline phone nearby to receive a unique 6-digit code which will be sent automatically to you as you ‘log-in’. The service is accessed via GOV.UK.

Once into the service you can:

  • Report most changes of circ*mstances
  • Renew and/or finalise your tax credits (once you have received your pack)
  • Check your payments
  • Fill in and send tax credit forms – such as the dispute form, hardship request form, appeal form
  • Track forms submitted through the account


You can use the HMRC App if you have a compatible smart phone (most android and Iphones). It is free to download from the ‘app store’ and provides a variety of digital services across HMRC lines of business. For tax credits, you can check your payments using the App, and notify most changes of circ*mstances and complete your tax credit renewal once you have received your renewal pack.


You can use Twitter to get general help from HMRC but they cannot discuss specific cases or anything relating to an individual’s personal information, so please do not give any personal details.

Start your tweet with @HMRCcustomers

Opening times:
Monday to Saturday: 8am to 8pm
Sunday: 9am to 5pm

How do I contact HMRC by phone?

The main telephone number is the Tax Credit Helpline: 0345 300 3900. You can also use NGT text relay if you cannot hear or speak on the phone: dial 18001 then 0345 300 3900. From abroad, you can ring +44 2890 538 192.

Helpline opening times:

Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm

Closed Saturdays, Sundays and bank holiday

You can ring this number to:

  • ask questions about your claim
  • find out about your payments
  • tell them about a change in circ*mstances
  • renew your claim
  • find out why you have been overpaid
  • make a complaint.

You will normally be asked for your National Insurance number. This is two letters, six numbers and a final letter, for example AB 12 34 56 Z.

You might also be asked to answer some security questions.

⚠️ It is always a good idea to make a note of the date and time of your call, the adviser’s name and a brief note of what was said.

What if I need extra help when I contact HMRC?

There are many reasons why you might need some extra help when contacting HMRC. For example, it may be that you have a disability or English is not your first language or perhaps need more time because of your circ*mstances. There is more information on the GOV.UK website about contacting HMRC if you have particular needs or need extra support.

Can someone else contact HMRC for me?

If you need help dealing with HMRC about your tax credits claim you can give permission for someone else to do this on your behalf. There is information on our website for advisers about the various ways you can do this.

How do I contact HMRC in writing

If you want to write to HMRC about your tax credits there are a number of different postal addresses.


Tax Credit Office
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

Correspondence relating to the 2 child limit(include the word ‘Exception’ at the top of your letter)

Tax Credit Office

All other correspondence including mandatory reconsiderations, appeals, disputes, change of circ*mstances, complaints and general correspondence

Tax Credit Office

Using a courier

Use this address for all post items being delivered to HMRC to either a closed HMRC site, a PO BOX or BX postcode by couriers.

HM Revenue and Customs
Benton Park View
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ
United Kingdom

You should mark your letter clearly, depending on what it is about and address the envelope to the relevant ‘team’ if possible.

  • to tell HMRC about a change of circ*mstances: Change of Circ*mstances Team
  • to ask for an explanation about why you have been overpaid or dispute an overpayment: Dispute Team
  • to ask for a mandatory reconsideration or appeal against a tax credit decision: Appeals Team
  • to make a complaint: Complaints Team.

It is a good idea to send letters by recorded delivery so that HMRC sign for the letter to confirm they have received it, or at least ask the Post Office for proof of postage if you do not wish to pay the extra for recorded delivery. Keep a copy of the letter and any enclosures for yourself if you can, and put the posting receipt in a safe place.

⚠️ Keep a file with copies of all of your tax credit forms, decision notices and letters together with any details you used to fill in your claim and calculations of how you worked out your figures.

Can I meet with HMRC face-to-face?

HMRC have had an enhanced system of support for taxpayers and tax credit claimants who need extra help dealing with HMRC. The service HMRC provide means that the telephone helplines are the initial way that customers can speak to HMRC.

Customers who are identified as needing extra help (according to criteria HMRC have developed) are then offered support best suited to them, this might still be by phone, but with a specialist telephone adviser who can deal with the queries in-depth or by arranging a set time to call or perhaps a face to face meeting with someone from HMRC at a place convenient to the customer (including at their home), calling on a team of HMRC specialist mobile advisers. More information can be found on the GOV.UK website.

More information

This page gives a brief overview of how to contact HMRC about tax credits. For more detailed information, visit our website for advisers on the following page: Tax Credits: How to deal with HMRC.

I'm an expert in taxation and government services, having extensive knowledge of HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) procedures and processes. I have practical experience in navigating tax credit systems and helping individuals with their tax-related queries.

Now, let's break down the information provided in the article on how to contact HMRC about tax credits:

  1. Contacting HMRC Online:

    • You can use the HMRC App, available for most smartphones, to access various digital services.
    • The 'Personal Tax Account' on the GOV.UK website covers income tax, tax payments, Self Assessment returns, and tax credits. The specific tax credit service is called 'Manage your tax credits.'
    • To use these services, register with the Government Gateway service or use an existing account for Self Assessment.
  2. HMRC App:

    • The HMRC App allows you to check payments, report changes of circ*mstances, and complete tax credit renewals.
    • It's available for free on the app store for most Android and iPhone devices.
  3. Contacting HMRC via Twitter:

    • General help can be obtained through Twitter by starting a tweet with @HMRCcustomers.
    • However, specific cases or personal information cannot be discussed on Twitter.
  4. Contacting HMRC by Phone:

    • The main telephone number is the Tax Credit Helpline: 0345 300 3900.
    • Opening times are Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm.
    • Services include asking questions about your claim, reporting changes, renewing claims, and addressing overpayments.
  5. Extra Help with HMRC:

    • If you need extra help due to disability, language barriers, or other circ*mstances, information is available on the GOV.UK website.
  6. Permission for Someone Else to Contact HMRC:

    • If you need assistance with your tax credits, you can give permission for someone else to contact HMRC on your behalf.
  7. Contacting HMRC in Writing:

    • Different postal addresses are provided for various correspondence, including renewals, disputes, appeals, complaints, and general correspondence.
    • It's advisable to mark the letter clearly and send it by recorded delivery or obtain proof of postage.
  8. Face-to-Face Meetings with HMRC:

    • Enhanced support is available for customers identified as needing extra help, including the option for face-to-face meetings.
  9. More Information:

    • The article suggests visiting the HMRC website for advisers for more detailed information on dealing with tax credits.

This comprehensive breakdown covers the various methods and steps involved in contacting HMRC about tax credits. If you have any specific questions or need further clarification, feel free to ask.

How do I contact HMRC about tax credits? (2024)


Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Carmelo Roob

Last Updated:

Views: 5649

Rating: 4.4 / 5 (45 voted)

Reviews: 84% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Carmelo Roob

Birthday: 1995-01-09

Address: Apt. 915 481 Sipes Cliff, New Gonzalobury, CO 80176

Phone: +6773780339780

Job: Sales Executive

Hobby: Gaming, Jogging, Rugby, Video gaming, Handball, Ice skating, Web surfing

Introduction: My name is Carmelo Roob, I am a modern, handsome, delightful, comfortable, attractive, vast, good person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.